Dr Peter Prouse
Role at hospital
Consultant rheumatologist, 1987
Consultant in paediatric rheumatology
My special interests lie with the management and outcome of inflammatory polyarthritis and connective tissue disorders.
- Established services including a multi-disciplinary team of nurses, physiotherapists and occupational therapists to manage inflammatory arthritis, spondyloarthritis, connective tissue disorders and metabolic bone disorders.
- Established with paediatrics a multi-disciplinary paediatric/rheumatology service.
- Established bone densitometry service.
- Established with haematology and orthopaedics the haemophilia comprehensive musculo-skeletal care service.
- Established the service to perform chemical synovectomy and radio-synoviorthesis including ARSAC licence for radio-synoviorthesis.
I was a founder member of both the early rheumatoid arthritis study (ERAS) and the early rheumatoid arthritis network (ERAN). ERAS is the largest prospective study of early RA, presenting data to national and international meetings. NICE has used ERAS data when establishing the cost effectiveness of anti-TNF’s in the management of RA. Health Care Commission has supported ERAN as a body by which outcome of RA management can be assessed in centres throughout England.
- Member BNHFT Drugs & Therapeutics Committee.
- Trustee and Board Member – Arthritis & Musculo-skeletal Alliance (an umbrella organisation representing 34 organisations in the Musculo-skeletal Community.
- Chair – ARMA Standards of Care Steering Group.
Additional informationa and comments
Since my appointment, I have developed the Rheumatology Department to now include four Consultant Rheumatologists, four Rheumatology Practitioners and a Research Co-ordinator and established an SpR training post in Rheumatology and GIM in Basingstoke.
I have also undertaken the following roles.
- 6 years as Chair of the Drugs &andTherapeutics Committee (18 years membership).
- 5 years as a Member of the Local Ethics Committee.
- 4 years as Chair of the Wessex Rheumatology Clinical Services Committee and 2 years as Secretary of that Committee.
- 7 years as Lead Consultant for the Wessex Rheumatology Peer Review programme.
- 4 years as Executive Board Member of the British Society for Rheumatology, with 2 years as Honorary Secretary and 2 years as Deputy Honorary Secretary of the BSR.
- 4 years as a Member of the Royal College of Physicians Rheumatology Sub-Committee.
- 3 years as a Member of the British Society for Rheumatology External Relations Committee.
- Member of BSR Sub-Committee to Establish a National Peer Review Programme where the Wessex Programme was adopted for National use.
- 20 year Membership of the Regional Rheumatology Education Sub-Committee and Local Educational Supervisor for SpR and junior grades.
- Founder Member of the Early Rheumatoid Arthritis Study.
- Founder Member and Board Member of the Early Rheumatoid Arthritis Network.
- Member of British Society for Rheumatology and American College of Rheumatology.
- The “Arts”
Contact Dr Peter Prouse